Halloween Costume ideas 2015

MEET SAFIYA UMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

I am Safiya Umar Ambursa; the CEO of HAFMAR DESIGNS a female clothing brand. A self taught fashion designer.

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

The creativity and energy of Nigerian youths is just fabulous. A lot of extraordinary youths are out there championing different causes that seeks to uplift the face of this great Nation and also their livelihood. We had an exciting interview with an upcoming fashion designer and CEO of HAFMAR Designs. This lady is filled with extra vigor and has a keen spirit for excellence. Here is some excerpt from our chat;

The Northerner: Can we meet you?

Safiya: I am Safiya Umar Ambursa; the CEO of HAFMAR DESIGNS a female clothing brand. A self taught fashion designer.  An indigene of Kebbi State. I was born on the 13th of August 1990. I started my Primary education in Lapan nursery/primary schools in Kaduna and later proceeded to FGC KWALI Abuja. I later got an admission into University of Maiduguri for my Bsc. Degree in Chemistry. Served my dear Country (NYSC) in 2013, Kaduna. Currently working in my company as the creative director and also a tailor. Ohhh less I forget I am single but not searching....

The Northerner: What made you choose a career in fashion Design?

Safiya: One doesn't choose a career but BUILD a career. I got fashion flair from my mum, while growing up I noticed she was very fashionable and always making real dresses for my two sisters and I. I have always wanted to be like her as I tried to make dresses for my Barbie as a little girl.  When I was in school I always fantasized about making real dresses for myself and my friends. Then the opportunity came when I had an annoying encounter with a tailor that disappointed me. That was when I made it mandatory upon myself to perfect my skills since I have had the passion for it all along. And that is where it all started.

The Northerner: Did you do any interesting project in the past? 


Safiya: Project! I have, the runway project I call it. I have attended so many fashion shows but only participated in two. The 1st  was held in lagos January 2016 called "The Essence" a modest show organised by The Umm Fariha Network. The show requires the designers to make 10 modest dresses and to showcase their talents which comprises of 7 designers including me. Fortunately for me I came 3rd place and it was awesome. Alhamdulillah for that because I made so many contacts. The 2nd  was in Kaduna March 2016 , The Gamji Pearls Fashion Show. Organised by a group of creative and talented minded people. That comprises of 8 designers also to showcase their talents but this time its not just about being modest. Each designer had about 6 designs to make, while I made 9 including 2 for the kids. I emerged to be the overall winner of the show with several awards. Am hoping to attend more of this runway shows in and out of the country Insha Allah.

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY


The Northerner: You are a Founder of a growing fashion company, can you tell us about it and your aim? 


Safiya: Yes I am the founder of HAFMAR DESIGNS.HAFMAR DESIGNS is a female clothing brand, that produces female clothing such as ready-to-wear dresses (jalbab, evening gowns, cooperate wears etc) and made-to-measure (traditional wears, bridal dresses etc). Starting from where the name originated from, HAFMAR is actually a prefix and suffix of my Parent's name which is HAFSAT and UMAR. I made it so because they are the two beautiful people that have ever happened to me, they are the reason why I am here, and they are irreplaceable. HAFMAR was created way back in 2013 when I realised I really wanted to go into the fashion line for real and have so decided to put all I have in it to see the success of the company. HAFMAR is currently into 3 sections now, we have the fragrances and the catering services then the clothing aspect. And we wish to have more coming your way insha Allah. Our aim is to change the game in the fashion industry, by letting everyone get to wear what they desire at a very affordable price irrespective of their status in life.  

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY


The Northerner: How have you used the internet to promote your business? 


Safiya: The Internet!  Well the Internet have been the fasted and only way to promote businesses these days. With the help of the social media (WhatsApp, instagram, online shopping etc) we have been able to reach a lot of people meeting to their needs and taste. Even the people we have never met before. Its just the easiest and fastest way of business communications.

The Northerner:  What are your challenges so far?


Safiya:  There are a lot of challenges. Customers or clients can sometimes be so sassy and rude. There are also other categories of clients that are never satisfied with your designs so you have to really learn how to handle them which is a great challenge. I handle mine with patience and I make them know I appreciate them and their patronage. Dealing with some people is never easy. Then there is the Nigeria factor which is the economic recession.  Labor is high because the cost of living is also high and you are spending a lot on salaries and other things so it makes it a little difficult to make good profit. And again getting good tailors to work with is a problem, because not all the tailors does exactly what you ordered them to do, they do it thier own way and leaving you to explain to your clients which is very annoying,even if I sew myself sometimes I need a helping hand.

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY


The Northerner: What are your expectations for the future? 

Safiya: My expectations aren't too high. I see HAFMAR DESIGNS in the sky where everyone can look up to, because I believe in every hard work there is a huge success . I have for long aspire to own a fashion house, with the will of The All-Mighty Allah I have one, and am working very hard towards seeing almost every one wear our brand irrespective of your status in life(both the rich and poor). I really want to design for highly respected individuals in government so that they can see and feel for themselves how the Nigerian youths can be so creative.


The Northerner: What advice do you have for aspiring entrepreneurs and fashion enthusiasts? 

Safiya: To my fellow upcoming entrepreneurs or youths once you realize you have the passion for something ensure you develop your talents and give it a try, there is no harm in trying, even if you do not think you will go into it for all. Trust me with a little success you will be amazed how that success will increase your zeal and appetite for more. We must always strive to be independent and not rely on anybody we should also ensure we patronize Nigeria goods because not all our goods are substandard.  To develop our fashion industries we must patronize our own products and not always look down on these products. BUY NAIJA TO GROW NAIRA!

You can reach Safiya via;
Instagram: @hafmardesignsbysusu
Twitter: @safiyaambursa
Facebook: Hafmardesignsbysusu
Whatsapp: +2348065381794


 
MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

SAFIYA UMAR HAFMAR

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

MEET SAFIYA UMAR  HAFMAR CEO OF A LEADING FASHION DESIGN COMPANY

 
 
Labels:

Post a Comment

Am really impressed by her hardwork. Nigerian youths need to wakeup to this call. Its time we start changing the game plan that has been turning this country for decades.i believe in what we can do.keep the good work.

Great! Mace mai Kamar maza, this post is a challenge for any graduate that waiting job from government.

Safiya I am very happy with your hardworking as northerner's girls, May Allah SWT guide us to right way.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget